A record 23 goals were scored in the third round replay of the FA Cup matches played on Tuesday night even as two Premier League teams Aston Villa and West Bromwich dug deep to progress to the next round.

Aston Villa brushed aside Wycombe 2-0 to advance to the next round in a result that will give their fans something to celebrate in a season that has so far proved anything but encouraging.

The team has been at the bottom of the Premier League table for as long as anyone can remember.

Goals by Ciaran Clark and Ashley Westwood were enough to send Villa through to the fourth round where fellow Premier League side Manchester waits.

Image Source – The Guardian

Villa coach Remi Garde made nine changes to the team that drew against Leicester last weekend and it paid off positively with the team creating some good chances against Wycombe on Tuesday night as they made it through.

Though beaten Wycombe will be proud of their performance as they had their opponents on the back foot for a good part of the match before finally succumbing to the two goals late in the second half.

Salomon Randon scored the only goal as West Bromwich Albion edged out Bristol City 1-0 becoming the second Premier League side to make it to the fourth round of the FA Cup.

Image Source – Sky Sports

Both sides made five changes to their squads that played in the league at the weekend it looked to have paid off as they created some decent changes in the first half which however none of them could make to count.

But Randon who has just joined West Bromwich did not disappoint with a 52nd minute strike that ensured his side progresses to the next round of the competition.

Struggling championships side Bolton Wanderers brushed aside none league side Eastleigh 3-2 to also make it to the fourth round. Others who made it to the fourth round are Bury who beat Bradford City 4-2 on penalties, MK Dons who edged out Northampton Town 3-0, Portsmouth who beat Ipswich Town 2-1, Reading who thrashed Huddersfield Town 5-2 and Carlisle United who edged out Yeovil Town 5-4 on penalties.